Skip to main content

Bombshell: Byron Dorgan announces retirement

‘Twas ObamaCare that killed the beast. Health-care reform is radioactive in North Dakota and, thanks to his support for it, so was Dorgan: As of two weeks ago, as a three-term incumbent, he trailed the state’s Republican governor John Hoeven in a hypothetical match-up by fully 22 points.

So here’s his “you can’t fire me, I quit!” moment.

For the past year, I have been making plans to seek another six-year Senate term in next year’s election. Those plans included raising campaign funds and doing the organizing necessary to wage a successful campaign…

Although I still have a passion for public service and enjoy my work in the Senate, I have other interests and I have other things I would like to pursue outside of public life. I have written two books and have an invitation from a publisher to write two more books. I would like to do some teaching and would also like to work on energy policy in the private sector.

So, over this holiday season, I have come to the conclusion, with the support of my family, that I will not be seeking another term in the U.S. Senate in 2010. It is a hard decision to make after thirty years in the Congress, but I believe it is the right time for me to pursue these other interests.

Let me be clear that this decision does not relate to any dissatisfaction that I have about serving in the Senate. Yes, I wish there was less rancor and more bipartisanship in the U.S. Senate these days. But still, it is a great privilege to serve and I have the utmost respect for all of the men and women with whom I serve.

He actually goes so far as to remind people that he’d been planning to run again. Amazing. This is an easy GOP pick-up, especially if Hoeven runs, but that’s a long-term issue. Short-term, two big points. One: Will this spook other Dems looking at long odds next year to quit? Like Ambinder says, this is first and foremost a psychological blow. Dodd’s probably asking himself the obligatory “should I spend more time with my family?” question right now. Two: How does this impact ObamaCare? Do Blue Dogs like Lincoln finally head for the hills at the next cloture vote?

Article From : http://hotair.com/archives/2010/01/05/bombshell-byron-dorgan-announces-retirement/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Revealed Taobao App vs Taobao Lite vs Taobao Special

In 2020, the most well-known e-commerce platform is Taobao . Taobao has been active for a long time now. They started in 2003 which was 17 years ago. Did you know that there are 3 Taobao apps that you can use? Actually, there are more than 3 but these 3 are enough to get started. Taobao vs Taobao Lite vs Taobao Special It is required to download Taobao to buy products. You can't change the language in these 3 Taobao apps but there is a solution to that problem. Most people think that you would need a PC to be able to change the language. But you could actually change it using a phone. There are many ways to change the language using a phone. What are the benefits of downloading Taobao? If you aren't a citizen of China then there aren't that many significant changes. The same goes for other apps. The second Taobao app that I want to introduce to you is the Taobao Special App. What is so special about this app? What are the benefits of this app? Well, there are 3 benefits to...

Tanjung Aru Beach Kota Kinabalu Before And After Covid-19

Tanjung Aru Beach Kota Kinabalu Before And After Covid-19. Tanjung Aru is famous for its beach view especially when the sun is setting. Even though the sun isn't setting at the beach, it still has a great view.The view is incredible in the morning at Tanjung Aru. It's calming and it's a great place to go to when you want to relax. The sand is clean and the tide is low which is great since you could walk around. Some people are taking pictures and videos because of its view. After all, it is indeed famous for its view. #tanjungarubeach #tanjungarubeachkotakinabalu #kotakinabalu Sabah Travel Guide , we will tell you more about the best restaurants and the fun things to do in Kota Kinabalu Sabah

Gaya Street Sunday Market Kota Kinabalu Sabah Reopened 13 December 2020 2/2

Gaya Street Sunday Market Kota Kinabalu Sabah Reopened 13 December 2020 2/2 The Sunday market at Gaya Street had just reopened and there weren't that many people. Since the Covid-19 pandemic, there have been fewer people than usual. It used to be so crowded that you could barely move. Many stalls opened which consisted of food, drinks, clothes, and many more. #gayastreet #gayastreetsundaymarket #kotakinabalu